Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Heart-shaped Rocks


Just got back from backpacking in Desolation Wilderness. This is the first time I’ve ever taken the girls backpacking. I thought it would be a sufferfest. I thought they would be miserable. I thought it would be a lesson in tolerance and patience. Once again, my children have amazed me. Instead of “my pack is too heavy,” or “how much longer?” my daughters asked, “What mountain is that?” and “Look Mom! Heart-shaped rocks!” After two days of natural wonders, wide-eyes  of amazement, and new revelations about the outdoors, I learned that my daughters were finally ready to receive all that I could throw them. Suddenly, I was overwhelmed that I would not have enough material to fill their heads with wonder and wisdom.
I returned to training today and the things are heating up. KJN is turning it up on some of the kids and threatening cuts. I don’t envy his part. Certainly, there are kids who are not ready and shouldn’t go. It’s far better to make the hard choices now rather than allow them to be embarrassed on a public stage. It’s pretty tough to look into the eyes of some of these ten year-olds who have been training so hard and being on their best behavior. I’ve noticed KJN’s private schedule is nice and full. The kids are getting nervous and training harder. It’s fun to see everyone excited and aiming for greatness. It’s contagious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment